Serial Boards

Steve Nuchia steve at nuchat.UUCP
Sat Nov 12 02:36:48 AEST 1988

>From article <343 at puck.UUCP>, by asp at puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik):
[UART replacement]
> What kinds of boards would this work for?  I have a Digicomm 4-port board.
> Is this one dumb enough to be a candidate for a chip(s) upgrade?

Any board that presents regular 8250 register files in I/O space;
DOS COM1-COM4 types, for instance.  If it has a processor on it
it is too smart.  Mother-board serial chips are good candidates, too.
Non-intel systems using the 8250 or equivalent could benefit too.
but you'll have some porting to do.

To safely replace the UART it needs to be socketed; I've got internal
modems that have surface mounted 8250s and I understand that the telebit
internal has an 8250 soldered down.  Oh Well.
--
Steve Nuchia	    | [...] but the machine would probably be allowed no mercy.
uunet!nuchat!steve  | In other words then, if a machine is expected to be