BYTE vs. XENIX

David Fiedler david at infopro.UUCP
Sun Nov 20 06:35:52 AEST 1988

>From article <227 at nicaud.UUCP>, by tissot at nicaud.UUCP (Kevin Tissot):
> "...you cannot run Unix with the Zenith Z-448 video board and the
> ZCM-1490 Flat Technology Monitor."

I don't know about these pieces of hardware, sorry.

> "Unix doesn't really like or understand color, or at least that's my
> conclusion."
>
>  I assume that the person who made these comments was trying to run
> DOS under UNIX. Since I am trying to justify SCO XENIX as a viable
> operating system and my critics are likely to use this article against
> me, I would appreciate any comments supporting or denying these
> statements - preferably "real world" examples.

Pournelle hates UNIX/Xenix, so he pretends that they don't work. Nobody
has to "justify" the world's best selling version of UNIX. SCO Xenix 386
runs fine, if not great, and while VP/ix isn't perfect, it's good enough
for me to use to run my company (Ventura for DTP software, Quicken for
financials, Flight Simulator for IFR procedures). I'll be glad to send you
a free copy of the issue of UNIQUE wherein we reviewed SCO Xenix 386.

David Fiedler {ames,attmail,hoptoad,pyramid}!infopro!david
USMail: InfoPro Systems, PO Box 220, Rescue CA 95672 Phone: 916/677-5870
"I can't answer the door, my wife is taking a bath in the sink."