Need info on Tandy 68000 Xenix

Mark Edwards mce at pbsdts.UUCP
Tue Nov 1 15:19:54 AEST 1988

In article <352 at marob.MASA.COM> daveh at marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
>Can anyone suggest 3rd party hard drive manufacturers for
>Tandy 68000 machines, or are we limited to what Tandy offers?
>
>Is there a more indepth Tandy-specific reference available from Tandy
>or one of the reference book publishers?
>
>Dave Hammond
>  UUCP: ...!uunet!masa.com!{marob,dsix2}!daveh
>DOMAIN: daveh at marob.masa.com
I replaced the 15 meg Tandon 503 with a Miniscribe 6053 (44 Meg, 28 ms) two
years ago.  It works just fine, and is an easy drop in replacement.  The
extra speed doesn't hurt either.  The cost was $625 then, but you can get
the 6085 (71 Meg) for about $620 today.  The internal hardware mounts a full
height drive.  Stay within the limits of 1024 cylinders and 8 heads.
Buy the service manual at the Computer Center.  It's about $25 bucks, but it's
all you'll ever need to care for the old girl.  I've had my since December
of 1983, and it's running strong.
	I'm still saving my money to upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2.  Maybe the nice
guys in hardware development will fix us up with a 68030 at 25 Mhz....
a Tandy 7000?  There's still plenty of life in these machines.  System V.3.X
on a 68030 would be real nifty.  It's probably hopeless.  Tandy seems to be
smitten by the Intel processor curse.  At least they still support the 6000!
My card cage is itching for a faster CPU and about 5 Megs of memory.  A VGA
graphics card wouldn't hurt either.  Dream on.....
Mark C. Edwards             voice:      619/586-2204
Associate Systems Analyst   unix:       mce at pbsdts.pacbell.com

--
Mark C. Edwards             voice:      619/586-2204
Associate Systems Analyst   unix:       mce at pbsdts.pacbell.com