VP/ix and the EGA

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX caf at omen.UUCP
Thu Nov 10 05:19:57 AEST 1988

In article <612 at pcrat.UUCP> rick at pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
:Agreed.  Under ISC's older version of VP/ix, I just copied the ROM
:that came with the Paradise EGA/480 into ROMEGA to get a better character
:set and support for the extended modes.  But under the 'new' version
:of VP/ix (1.10, I think), this doesn't work (locks up the computer).
:I would guess that the Xenix flavor of VP/ix also shares this misfeature.

I'm running 1.01.00 VP/ix under Xenix, which (I think) is the current
version.  As with previous versions, I substitute an image of the
Genoa SUperEGA HiRES rom for the supplied ROMEGA file.  This allows
the higher resolution modes etc. to be used.  Unfortunately, the
Genoa EGA ROM does not know how to handle the screen swapping functions,
so one must be careful not to swap screens while the Genoa ROM image is
being used.  I have recommended that SCO and/or ISC document these
extensions to allow Genoa et al to support the combination of VP/ix
and multiple screens.

With the current VP/ix version, it is usually possible to put things back
in order with a kill -1 given from a serial terminal.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746   CIS: 70007,2304    Genie: CAF