cannot create directory?

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Mon Nov 14 23:09:11 AEST 1988

I recently did an install of xenix/386 2.3.1 on a machine, starting from
an empty machine. After the install was complete, I noted that the space
allocation between root and /u was not very good. I wanted to redo it,
so I created tape backups of each partition, using faind and cpio. I
created a boot floppy with all the utilities I expected to need.

I booted from the floppy and changed the divvy. When I tried to reload I
got "cannot create directory <dirname/here>" for every directory until I
stopped the process. It seems that I can't reload cpio from tape to hard
disk if I boot from floppy. Since this is the most useful backup for me
(xenix tar has some limitations and dump is not friendly for restoring
individual files), does anyone have an idea why this doesn't work?

I finally did a work around, but it's so ugly that I wouldn't consider
doing it again.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)