386 Unix Options

Mark McWiggins mark at intek01.UUCP
Thu Nov 17 11:49:07 AEST 1988

We're upgrading from SCO Xenix 286 and are considering our options ...
We've been quite happy with their product, but we have a number of criteria
to meet and are pretty price-sensitive.  Since SCO still seems "behind"
the others (no NFS that we're aware of, etc.) and no longer will allow their
products to be sold mail-order, it seems worth shopping.

The machine would be used for

    (1) development by the resident Unix hack (that's me) regularly, and a
    	few others sporadically

    (2) mail/news via UUNET & Telebit @ 19200 bps

    (3) TCP/IP connection to DOS (Netware) & maybe Mac

    (4) SCCS archiving of all our source

Here's what we need:

    (1) Console multiscreens

    (2) ESDI disk support

    (3) TCP/IP, with the ability to let several clients login using
        a single board

    (4) Xenix software compatibility (I guess this means Sys V R3.2?)

    (5) Support for Telebit modem @ 19200 & dialing in/out on a single line

    (6) NFS

    (7) Support for Everex cartridge tape

    (8) RELIABILITY

Here's what we'd like, but isn't essential:

    (1) VP/ix support

    (2) Diskless node support over NFS

	(3) Korn Shell

I'd like to hear about:

    (1) your experience with a similar sort of setup: system/network board
		combinations, how much memory, how many/what kind users, how
		experienced you are at sysoping and how much of a pain installation
		was, etc.

    (2) the prices you paid

    (3) vendors and your experience with them

I realize this sort of thing has been done before, but I'm not aware of any
similar summaries about the latest greatest (Sys V 3.2, Xenix 2.3).

Please reply by E-mail, and I'll summarize for the net.  Thanks in
advance.
--

Mark McWiggins			UUCP:		uunet!intek01!mark
DISCLAIMER: I could be wrong.	INTERNET:	intek01!mark at uunet.uu.net
						(206) 455-9935