How much memory is needed for Unix/Xenix?

id for use with uunet/usenet jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Sat Nov 12 12:44:15 AEST 1988

In article <5235 at thorin.cs.unc.edu>, leech at tlab1.cs.unc.edu writes:

>     I'm planning a 386 system purchase in the next few months. I would
> like to run with 2 Meg, since it's my own $$$ involved. It seems that
> Sys V/386 will not run in 2 Meg, but Xenix 386 will; could anyone with
> actual experience comment on this? Also, how much impact will this
> have on single-user operation - will a 2 Meg system be unusably slow?

We are running a 2 meg Xenix 386 here.  It works great (even works in
1 meg if necessary) and it is not slow.  I don't know how it will slow
if you add multiple terminals (we push them up to 4 meg of memory), but
it sounds like you will be the only one on.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.