PCOMM compile woes: Has this happened to You???

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Thu Oct 13 00:24:00 AEST 1988

(Russ Rodriguez) writes:
>Hello there, Xenix Development System Hackers (SCO V2.2.1).  I have the
>following nasty error message when compiling PCOMM V1.1 with patches
>1-4 faithfully applied.  When I run the makefile, all the subprograms
>compile without error, but when run thru the linker, I get the message
>listed below...
>
>cc -SEG 1000 -F 5000 -M2l admin.o chg_dir.o ... -ltermcap -lcurses
>
>Fixup overflow near 008b in segment PREPROC_TEXT in /lib/Llibc.a(signal.o)
>  offset 262d8H
>
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.

Ah yes, my favorite SCO bug !!!

Here's the kludge to get around it:
1) extract signal.o from /lib/Llibc.a ("ar x /lib/Llibc.a signal.o")
2) compile the program again, but put signal.o in there as the first .o file
   ("cc -SEG 1000 -F 5000 -M2l signal.o admin.o chg_dir.o ... -lcurses")

I encountered this problem several times before, when using signals in large
programs (not that curses stuff uses signals). This fix always worked for me.

Hope it solves your problem.

Paul.

--
|debra at research.att.com   |