Compress wars

Peter Jeremy peter at stca77.stc.oz
Thu Oct 20 17:34:08 AEST 1988

Following extensive examination of the source code for compress version 4,
as well as the assembler generated by the XENIX compiler, lots of kludging
and some very dirty C, I now have a 16 bit compress with the following
enhancements:
1) Reduced memory requirements:
   The memory image for compress is now 421K, decompress 223K.
2) Reduced run-time
   It runs approximately _three_times_ as fast as my previous mixed-model
   version. (A bit better than 3 times for decompression, a bit less for
   compression).  My previous mixed-model compress was about 30% faster
   than a straight large-model version.

These changes were achieved by using runtime memory allocation for the
tables and re-writing the table access macros to avoid the use of 32-bit
shifts.

The code currently runs under Xenix/286 Version 2.2.1 - it should be
portable to MS-DOG (although the gains may not be as great because it's not
running in protected mode).  I can't guarantee the code portability to
other *nix/286 operating systems, and since its just a set of kludges to
get around the yukky segments, it isn't of interest to anyone not condemned
to using 80286's.

If anyone is interested, please E-mail me.  If I get sufficient interest I
will post the patches (relative to something fairly generic).
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)         peter at stca77.stc.oz
Alcatel-STC Australia        ...!munnari!stca77.stc.oz!peter
41 Mandible St               peter%stca77.stc.oz at uunet.UU.NET
ALEXANDRIA  NSW  2015