pcomm 1.1 on SCO Xenix

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Fri Oct 7 04:50:41 AEST 1988

In article <157 at libove.UUCP>, root at libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) writes:
> I am trying to build pcomm 1.1 on SCO Xenix 286 v2.2.1 with Development
> System v2.2.1, and when I start compiling as follows:
>
> 	cc -g -O -Ml2e -c chg_dir.c
> chg_dir.c
> chg_dir.c(10) : error 54: expected `(' to follow `chtype'
> chg_dir.c(12) : error 59: syntax error : `{'
> [ all the rest deleted ]

I have (unfortunately) had quite a bit of experience in getting things to
compile under xenix (please, no flames, this is *MY* opinion!).

During my sometimes futile attempts at actually generating an absolute load
module, i have had many oppurtunitites of fiddle with the various flags.  For
some reason, which i can't really fathom, using the -M2 flag sometimes
generates (apparently) spurious errors.  Usually of the type that you see
above.  I suspect that use of -M2 turns on some sort of different inclusion
mechanism for include files.  For example, i frequently find param.h (i think
it was param.h) to generate errors just like the above.  Much as i hated to do
it (cause i want to squeeze out as much speed as i can on my labouring system
(;-(), i have turned off -M2 and the errors went away.  So try that and see if
helps....

Now, a question.  Just how much difference is there between running a -M2
program and a plain old 8086 (or whatever the default code generation is -M0?)
program in SCO xenix (i have 2.1.3).

Anyone have stats on this?

derek
--
Derek Terveer		det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
			w(612)681-6986	h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain