Help! Huge model bombs out

Richard Skrenta skrenta at eecs.nwu.edu
Sat Oct 15 17:32:34 AEST 1988

I've been trying to compile a large program (PCOMM in this case, but
I've had this problem with other programs) under Xenix 2.0.4.  First
I tried the default model and the c files compiled no problem.  However,
at the link stage I got the "segment size >64K" error.  I tried switching
to the huge model, but halfway through the compile I got the following
error:

Compiler error (internal): infinite spill

Is this just because I'm using an older version of Xenix?  Is there anything
I can do to get around it?  (Don't tell me to upgrade; SCO wants $645 for that).

Please help!  Any tips for compiling big programs in general would be
appreciated.

Rich Skrenta