SCO Xenix make(1) lacks MFLAGS

The Beach Bum jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US
Fri Oct 14 11:24:55 AEST 1988

In article <EXHvo1128k-0Q4jMNK at andrew.cmu.edu> jl42+ at andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
>chip at ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>> Xenix make has "MAKEFLAGS".  No hyphen, but it works.
>>
>>         submake:
>>                 cd subdir; $(MAKE) -$(MAKEFLAGS)
>
>MAKEFLAGS doesn't work right, doesn't contain the right information.

What doesn't work about it?  I tried it and it worked -
--
Script is typescript, started Thu Oct 13 20:21:20 1988
Subscript out of range.
1 - rpp386-> cat Makefile
all:
	echo $(MAKEFLAGS) ; cd c ; make -$(MAKEFLAGS)
2 - rpp386-> cat c/Makefile
all:
	echo $(MAKEFLAGS)
3 - rpp386-> make
	echo b ; cd c ; make -b
	echo b
4 - rpp386-> make -k -n
	echo bkn ; cd c ; make -bkn
5 - rpp386-> make -k
	echo bk ; cd c ; make -bk
bk
	echo bk
bk
6 - rpp386-> logout
Not a terminal: Not a character device
John's Words of Wisdumb -
But scientists, who ought to know
Assure us that it must be so.
Oh, let us never, never doubt
What nobody is sure about.
		-- Hilaire Belloc
Script done Thu Oct 13 20:22:30 1988
--
What's wrong with this?
--

      "Why waste negative entropy on comments, when you could use the same
                   entropy to create bugs instead?" -- Steve Elias