Using extended characters with Xenix

Paul Gillingwater paul at csnz.nz
Sat Oct 29 02:43:15 AEST 1988

We are doing software development that is intended for a Hispanic-
language customer.  We would like to use vi as our programming
editor, but it seems that it strips the eighth bit from characters
which are entered using the compose key on a VT220 compatible terminal.

Can someone please advise me how to force vi to desist from this obnoxious
behaviour, or tell me which SCO Xenix editor can be used?   And if
someone says EMACS, then please tell me where I can obtain a copy of
it for SCO Xenix 2.2, real fast!

Like, gag me with a popen(),

--
Paul Gillingwater --> Path: ...!uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul
Computer Sciences of New Zealand Ltd.  	Domain: paul at csnz.co.nz
Magic Tower BBS (24 hrs) NZ +64 4 753-561 (V21/V23/V22/B103/B212A)