COM3 with Xenix 2.2.3

James Dicke jamesd at lakesys.UUCP
Fri Oct 14 23:38:01 AEST 1988

I recently received Xenix 2.2.3 for my 286.  I have a problem though.
I wanted to use 3 phone modems with the system but later found out
that Xenix does not support COM3.  I have 1 internal modem configured
for COM1 and one single port serial card configured as COM2 (which is
attached to an external modem).  I also have a 2nd internal modem
configured as COM3 IRQ2 0x3E8.  Under DOS using PROCOMM this
configuration of the 3 COM ports works fine and I can use all 3
modems.  But, Xenix only recognizes COM1 and COM2 so those are the
only device drivers I could install.

Thing is, that since I know the IRQ and the data location I think it
would be simple enough just to configure another device driver to
handle the COM3 modem.  It also seems like this would be a common
problems so I would like to know if anyone out there has a device
driver written for COM3 or could help me figure out how to get these
3 modems working properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you.

James Dicke
(414) 462-8973

P.S. I can configure the modem to IRQ5 COM4 if needed.