COM3 with Xenix 2.2.3

id for use with uunet/usenet jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Wed Oct 26 00:12:21 AEST 1988

In article <12399 at steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> In article <225 at ispi.UUCP> jbayer at ispi.UUCP (id for use with uunet/usenet) writes:
>
> | I have said it before, I will say it again.  RTFM!!!  Com3 and com4 are only
> | for use on the Sperry IT 286 boxes (I don't know about the 386).  Sperry,
> | now known as Unisys, has some special logic on the board to handle com3 and
> | com4.  It is not available and will NOT work on any other computer.  Also,
>
>   I had a chance to get one of the Sperry boards, and called SCO to see
> if it would work on non-Sperry systems. They told me it would. The
> Sperry guy I got it from also indicated that they were running it in a
> clone in the Sperry office (the customers get delivery on machines
> before the offices).
>
>   I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but all parties seem to think it
> would work. The person I spoke with at SCO said that the whole story of
> special support was not related to the board I have.

According to the Release Notes with Xenix 2.2.3 (the relevent sections are
the same in 2.1.3, and 2.2.1, and 2.2.2), for Physical Ports OTHER1, and OTHER2
the UNISYS cards will only work on the UNISYS PC/IT.  This does not mean that
the cards will not work on other computers as COM1 or COM2.  It is referring to
the so-called COM3 and COM4 settings.

It is also possible that we are talking about two different cards.  The lines
from the table in the mkdev serial script for these are below:

	|	 		Primary	Primary	 Alternate    Alternate |
	| Physical    Board	  I/O	Status	    I/O	       Status	|
	| Port	      Type	Address	Address	  Address      Address	|
	| COM3	  |  Sperry    | 0x400  n/a	| none		n/a	|
	| COM4	  |  Sperry    | 0x408  n/a	| none		n/a	|

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.