Modem control (was: Re: /usr/lib/uucp/uucico ignores LCK.. files)

The Beach Bum jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US
Sat Oct 15 07:38:52 AEST 1988

In article <8XIceSy00Uo141M0UZ at andrew.cmu.edu> jl42+ at andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
>Unfortunately I can't get kermit to go out on
>the tty1A line, even though that is the modem
>control device!
>
>Anyone know how to get tty1A to let you talk
>out to the modem, and carry on a regular
>conversation via the modem?

You have to have kermit open the modem line with O_NDELAY and then
set CLOCAL until a carrier is detected.  Since the modem has not yet
made a connection, no carrier will be present and the open will
block waiting for DCD to be asserted.

Kermit has a `modem' flag, which can be set.  Did you remember to
issue the command 'set modem-dialer' before doing a 'set line' or
'dial' command?  Giving 'set modem-dialer' is supposed to do all
of this [ for your version of Kermit ] for you.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +----Make believe quote of the week----
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311                | Nancy Reagan on Richard Stallman: