Swapping a 386 motherboard into a 286

Steve Dyer dyer at arktouros.MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 17 13:35:44 AEST 1988

In article <287 at serene.CTS.COM> rfarris at .UUCP (Rick Farris) writes:
>Yes, but once I get the 386 motherboard installed, the plan is to upgrade
>to 386 xenix.  Will it read my 286 style harddisks?
>Hey SCO!  Are you listening?  Will this work?

The partition and file system structures are identical between XENIX 286
and XENIX 386.

The big question is whether you'll need to upgrade to XENIX 386 manually,
overlaying existing 286 programs in /bin, /usr/bin, /lib, /usr/lib, as
well as /boot and /xenix or whether there is a well-defined 286-->386
upgrade script which does this more or less mechanically.  If you call
SCO with this question, they'll be happy to answer it, I'm sure, since
it affects your purchase decision.

---
Steve Dyer
dyer at arktouros.MIT.EDU
dyer at spdcc.COM aka {harvard,husc6,ima,bbn,m2c,mipseast}!spdcc!dyer