Line Printers and Kernel

tif at cpe.UUCP tif at cpe.UUCP
Tue Oct 4 07:58:00 AEST 1988

Written  6:04 pm  Sep 30, 1988 by rpp386.UUCP!jfh in cpe:comp.unix.xenix
>In article <644 at quando.UUCP> wichert at quando.UUCP (Peter Wichert) writes:
>>1.	The problem which occured is that the printer would not work as fast
>>	as possible .
>SCO.  then, if that doesn't fix it, there is a polling parallel driver
>out there someplace.  use it instead.

This is an investigation still underway but here are two bits fer ya...

1.	Polled printing can be accomplished by mknod'ing a device
	with a minor node of  (n + 64)  where n is your current (not
	polled) printer device.  This (like most USEFUL information)
	is in the Release Notes.

2.	There is a global variable, pabusycnt, in the kernel which
	determines (for a polled device) how long to wait for the
	printer to become un-busy.  Default is 64 I think.  This
	information was in one of the DiSCOver magazines.

Note that both of these steps are likely to decrease system performance.

This information is only a summary of otherwise available information.
Further disclaimers apply and are available upon request  :-)

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			{convex,killer}!ninja!cpe!tif