Xenix 386AT w/ESDI Drive

Erik Murrey erik at mpx2.UUCP
Thu Oct 27 12:47:07 AEST 1988

Has anyone been successful in running an ESDI drive
at 1:1 under SCO Xenix 386AT 2.3.1?   I'm running on
an AST/386 with an Adaptec-2320 (a 2322 without the floppy)
with a Micropolis 150MB drive, 36 sectors, etc.  When I
do a raw read from a partition (i.e. using 'dd' on a
raw device with a big buffer), the system doesn't keep
up with the 1:1.  Should I switch to 3:1 interleave?
How 'bout switching to a WD1007 with a track buffer?
(I thought SCO had a bug which flushed the buffer
for every read...)  I really am peeved that I spent
lots of extra $$ for ESDI and am only getting st-506
performance.

Please e-mail replies to erik at mpx1.UUCP, unless mpx2 happens
to be in your 'paths'...

Thanks!  (If enough interest, I'll summarize, etc.)

Erik Murrey
MPX Data Systems, Inc.
erik at mpx1.UUCP