Ram chips wanted!

Stacy L. Millions stacy at mcl.UUCP
Mon Oct 10 02:54:24 AEST 1988

In article <6800049 at cpe>, tif at cpe.UUCP writes:

> Written 11:02 pm  Oct  3, 1988 by lakesys.UUCP!jamesd in cpe:comp.unix.xenix
> >I need memory chips for my 12MHz 286 so I can run Xenix better.  The chips I
> >am looking for are 256k 80ns DRAM's.
>
> Obviously you can buy whatever you want but isn't 80ns faster than necessary
> for a 12MHz machine?  Seems like we put 100ns in our 16MHz 386's.

I have a 12MHz 0ws 68000 machine from a few years back that uses 150ns DRAM,
the manufacturer admitted that they were pushing the chips past specs, but
also said they had a low failure rate doing it.

I missed the original article, are you looking for more RAM to put on
the mother board or on an expansion card? If it is going on an expansion
card than the fastest speed you have to worry about is 10 MHz. I am not
aware of any systems that go faster than 10MHz on the I/O bus, even at
10MHz alot of cards fail.

-stacy

--
"He to whom the early bird runs best learns wisdom and patience!
                          ... I can never remember proverbs" - Charlie Brown