Future Domain SCSI controller for AT bus

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.ateng.com
Tue Oct 18 01:30:08 AEST 1988

According to fr at icdi10.uucp (Fred Rump from home):
>It was my understanding that Xenix 2.4 (Tandy's own) was required to run SCSI.
>Inquiries to SCO have indicated that SCSI is not supported by 2.3.
>So if the 'ateng' system uses SCSI on a 286 - what gives? Does it really look
>like a ST-506 to the software?  Is that why the slowness exists?

First, realize that when Tandy and SCO talk about SCSI support, they mean
built-in support for the Adaptec AHA-1540.  They don't mean SCSI in general!
After all, anyone can write a device driver.  That's what Corollary did at
Future Domain's request; ateng is running -- slowly -- using the resulting
driver.

Perhaps I was mistaken about 2.3 including Adaptec support.  My info was
second hand.

The slowness may be due to the controller or the driver or both.  In truth,
I don't care; it's just too slow.  I'm ditching Future Domain as soon as
possible.
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip at ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!