Dirty Phone Lines

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Fri Oct 7 07:12:16 AEST 1988

In article <7304 at well.UUCP> dave at well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) writes:

>How can I deal with a chronic problem of very noisy incoming phone lines
>to a system from rural analog phones? Users in rural areas are dialing

There is always the possibility to crank up the signal-level of the modems.
This is illegal of course (the level must not exceed some value), but on the
other hand your users are being charged real money for bad connections,
and they pay just as much as people in areas with better lines.

No flames please about this suggestion. What do you do if you constantly
have bad voice-connections? You start yelling into the phone. Well, what
I suggest is that the modems start yelling. That's all.

Paul.
|Paul De Bra              | I am completely surrounded by giant bugs !    |
|debra at research.att.com   | There's millions of them, all over this code! |
|uunet!research!debra     | Beam me up quickly...Please...                |