"too big" error message under Xenix

Chip Rosenthal chip at vector.UUCP
Thu Oct 27 05:46:41 AEST 1988

In article <3700006 at eecs.nwu.edu> skrenta at eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) writes:
>I try to run it, however, it says "mg: too big".
>Does anyone know what "too big" refers to here?

Yeah...your initialized data/stack segment is greater than 64K.  Well,
you might ask, why does the compiler allow such a thing to be created?
The reason is that XENIX 286 uses a fixed stack which is allocated at run
time.  It is only at this time that it can see that the thing won't
shoehorn into memory.

The answer is obvious:  decrease your stack size or decrease the amount
of static data in this segment.  The former may be done with the fixhdr(C)
command, which allows you to specify a stack size.  The latter may be done
by compiling with the -Mt flag.  For example, -Mt32 says any data items
larger than 32 bytes should be moved into another segment.  Of course,
you must be using either the large or the huge memory model to do this.
--
Chip Rosenthal     chip at vector.UUCP | I've been a wizard since my childhood.
Dallas Semiconductor   214-450-0486 | And I've earned some respect for my art.