SCO Xenix "ex" limitation revisited

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Tue Oct 11 07:33:35 AEST 1988

In article <173 at libove.UUCP> root at libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) writes:

>On SCO Xenix 80286 version 2.2.1 the "ex" editor has a limit on the
>maximum filesize it can edit - NOT the system ulimit, not running out
>of space on /tmp, simply that "ex" stops reading at a certain point.
>
>The file I was working with is a 14000 line, 450Kbyte file, a list of
>all the files on my system.

Vi keeps a list of pointers to disk-blocks in its temporary file. The
size of the temporary file is thus limited. This also means that with
a smaller file you can run out of temp-file-blocks after some amount of
editing. Saving the file and restarting vi works in that case.

The 450 Kbyte however will not fit in the temp file.

Paul.

--
|debra at research.att.com   |