accessing 2nd partition of dos hard drive

id for use with uunet/usenet jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Thu Sep 15 14:13:26 AEST 1988

In article <463 at jc3b21.UUCP>, rac at jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:
. In article <859 at viscous>, rosso at sco.COM (Ross Oliver) writes:
. < In article <461 at jc3b21.UUCP> rac at jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:
. < >Does anyone know if it's possible to address the second dos
. < >partition of the hard drive using the dos utilities? i.e. dosls, dosdir,
. < >dosrm, doscat, etc.
. <
. < The device files /dev/hd01, /dev/hd02, /dev/hd03, and /dev/hd04 can
. < be used to access the four absolute partitions on your first hard
.
. I just tried this after reading your response, and I can read the files
. on the first dos partition with "dosdir /dev/hd01", but "dosdir /dev/hd02"
. returns "dosdir: FAT not recognizable on /dev/hd02".  All the other devices
. (/dev/hd0[034a]) return "dosdir: bad media byte on /dev/hd0[034a]".  I used
. SpeedStor to do the partitioning.  Could that be the problem?  Needless to
  ^^^^^^^^^
Xenix only knows about standard dos partitions.  Speedstor does funny things
in order to do its thing, therefore Xenix cannot read the Speedstor partitions

Jonathan Bayer