simple (?) xenix 286 questions

id for use with uunet/usenet jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Wed Sep 14 14:37:11 AEST 1988

In article <1826 at spdcc.COM>, eli at spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
> what is the minimum amount of memory a 286 PC must have in order to
> run xenix 286?  will things run at all with 640k or 1M?

Yes, the system will run with 1 meg (I think it will even run with 512K, but
don't even try that).  If you are running multi-user you will probably want
more memory.

> does xenix 286 run in protected mode all the time?

Yes.

> what amounts of swap space can be specified?

It depends on the size of the hard disk.  When installing Xenix you are
prompted for swap space size.  It will allow numbers within a specified
range, which is determined by your disk space.  If you start playing
with the divvy program you can configure whatever you want.

> what is the swap block size -- is this configurable, too?

					^^^^^ no

> is it worth $595 ??  what about Microport?

If you are going to be doing any multi-user at all, (more than 2 terminals)
the price is almost the same as Microport. Microport sells a 1 or 2 user
license for $ 150 , and if you want more than that you should buy an
upgrade license, the cost I don't know.  The $ 595 for Xenix is essentially
an unlimited user license ( I know, it is really a 16 user license, but no
286 system should be forced to support 16 users).

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.