Size of kernels

id for use with uunet/usenet jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Thu Sep 15 00:00:46 AEST 1988

In article <gX-wbmB38k-082XJsY at andrew.cmu.edu>, jl42+ at andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
> Someone mumbled in a question about getting big programs to run in
> small memory that their system has 640K and has a maximum user
> process size of 300K or so. That implies only 340K to the kernel.
>
> That person claimed SCO Xenix 2.2.1. I use SCO Xenix 2.2.1. My system
> has 2 megabytes of memory, and 1400K is available as my maximum user
> process size.
>
> So, why is my kernel fully twice the size of his?
>
> Jay Libove (libove at andrew.cmu.edu or libove at cs.cmu.edu)

The kernel is not twice the size, but the memory it is using is.  The
memory usage includes the multiscreens (only 1 available on a 640K machine),
the i/o buffers (you probable have 300K allocated for i/o) message buffers
and probably a little bit other.  I am running 2.2.6 with 2 megs and my
kernel size is about 259 K (  "l /xenix"  ).  My maximum process size is
2820K, the kernel uses about 728K, and 1320K is available to user processes.
Also, on a 386 the maximum process size is also dependent on the swap space
size.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.