SCO XENIX/386 and a slow lp

Jeff White jeff at drexel.UUCP
Tue Sep 13 11:00:46 AEST 1988

In article <5470 at killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, toma at killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Tom Armistead) writes:
> I have just installed 386 Xenix (SCO) and am having some problems
> with the lp spooler. It runs **REAL** slow, printing about 1 line
> every 1 to 2 seconds, even when there is absolutely nothing else
> happening on the system...

  We have a Tandy 3000 (8 MHz 286) running SCO, and when printing, the system
does slow down (most noticeable during screen updates).  The reason I think
this happens is that the parallel port generates an interrupt for every
character sent to the port.  I wouldn't expect a 386 sytem to be worse, but
it could be that your particular system has more of hardware related problem
then a software one (this is all assuming your printer is connected to a dumb
port (either parallel or serial).  You might want to test your system under
DOS, under the PRINT command (to get spooled printing), and see how slow the
response is while the printing is happening.

						Jeff White
						Drexel University - ECE Dept.
						rutgers!bpa!drexel!jeff