Test SCO Xenix IPC reliability

Chip Rosenthal chip at vector.UUCP
Sun Sep 4 05:44:56 AEST 1988

In article <6141 at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) writes:
>In article <530 at vector.UUCP> chip at vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>>is it realistic for the service requestor to know
>>the PID of the service server?
>if you are using semaphores, then i doubt it.  for shared memory, why not?

I guess you are right.  Probably do something like have the service requestor
attach to the segment, read out the PID of the service provider, leave the
request, and then signal the provider that a request is awaiting.

You wouldn't be beating on it as hard as the test case did, so the chance
of signal races is reduced.  The only limitation I see is that the requestor
needs to be the same UID as the provider to send the signal.
--
Chip Rosenthal     chip at vector.UUCP | I've been a wizard since my childhood.
Dallas Semiconductor   214-450-0486 | And I've earned some respect for my art.