Why can't I use UUNET's smail? Smail for Xenix worthwhile?

Dermot Tynan dtynan at sultra.UUCP
Fri Sep 16 05:14:45 AEST 1988

In article <347 at intek01.UUCP>, mark at intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:

>	[Stuff about having mail returned]

I find that the best way to check what smail is doing, is to use the
illustrious -A option.  I have found a lot of problems in my paths file
by doing this.  If you are getting mail bounced back, try this;

smail -A anyone at system-x

smail will then print either of two things (at least my configuration will),
	a)	it will show a complete UUCP bang-path, which you can
		check to see if it looks OK, or
	b)	it will show
			anyone at system-x
		meaning it didn't resolve the path.  My mailer will then get
		seriously ill, when it sees the '@'.
This is a good place to start looking for problems.  Also, I experiment with
lots of different variants, and know what my particular configuration will do.
						- Der
--
Reply:	dtynan at sultra.UUCP		(Dermot Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{mips,pyramid}!sultra!dtynan