GNU cc and Xenix/386

Daniel Christian dac at f.gp.cs.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 28 02:57:47 AEST 1988

We put some work into porting gcc to SCO Xenix/386.  We got around all
the compile problems but one.  Most of the problems are due to macro
expansion creating lines too long for cc.  We ran these through cpp
and then edited them to shorten lines.

  The unresolved problem was that some of the string constants in
gcc.c were too long.  Since gcc is just a front end to cpp, cc1 and
as; you could hand compile gcc.c using GNU cpp, cc1, and Xenix as.

HOWEVER, the last major problem was MASM.  MASM is the standard
assebler for SCO Xenix (there is one other assembler, but it is worse
not better).  The assembler output from gcc is Unix style assembly.
MASM uses a different representation for numbers and addressing modes
and (especially) variable allocation.

Does anyone have a Unix style 386 assembler for Xenix??????

-Dan Christian
Pittsburgh Powercomputing
dac at ri.cmu.edu