Comparison of 386 Unixes

Dimitri Rotow dar at belltec.UUCP
Sat Apr 15 06:23:34 AEST 1989

Just to follow up on the flames at UNIX Today's article ...
(talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth ... )

I didn't particularly agree with all of the points presented about
our UNIX, but I thought it was a pretty good article.  If you think
you can do better, get to it and crank out an article for the UNIX
magazines.

Every one of the journals is looking for qualified people to write
quality articles.  As one editor put it to me once, "There's just
not enough mediocrity to go around."  Put together an article
proposal, draft an outline, and send it to the editor for the
magazine for which you would like to write.

You'll discover that even superficial reviews take an immense amount
of care and time to accomplish, and that a review as relatively
detailed as that which UNIX Today ran takes weeks to do.

UNIX Today should be commended for actually taking the time to procure
and install each package and to actually run it.  If you want to
complain about "trash" reviews, save your time for some of the DOS
magazines that "review" products by re-writing vendor-supplied
press releases.  (Or save your flames for the net, where unlike
the free copy of UNIX Today, we get to pay phone charges to read
things we don't always agree with).

- Dimitri Rotow