Help with line disciplines

Paul Hite paul at prcrs.UUCP
Tue Apr 18 07:46:35 AEST 1989

In article <6511 at nuchat.UUCP>, steve at nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) writes:
> In article <763 at dms.UUCP> shepperd at dms.UUCP (Dave Shepperd) writes:
> >What does the kernel expect the line discipline routines to do EXACTLY?
> >                          This question may be best answered by suggesting
> >a book on the subject.
>
> If you find one PLEASE let me know.  I have every book that even
> mentions Unix driver writing, and LD interfacing is never covered
> in any kind of detail.

Well Steve, I'll bet you've overlooked a book or two.  I  have the
following two books which I obtained from AT&T:

UNIX System V, Release 3 Block and Character Interface (BCI)  Driver
Development Guide  (select code 307-191)

and its companion:

UNIX System V, Release 3 Block and Character Interface (BCI)  Driver
Reference Manual  (select code 307-192)

Both books are 8.5 by 11.  Together they are bigger than most phone books.
They are pricey (about $150 for the pair as I remember) but they are worth
it.

Chapter 7 is about the TTY subsystem and there is much info on LD.  Contents:

Line Disciplines					7-4
Line Discipline Zero					7-5
Writing Line Disciplines				7-7
Line Discipline Functions Calling Sequences	  	7-9
	ttread and ttwrite				7-10
	ttioctl and ttin				7-11
	ttout, ttxput, and tttimeo			7-12
	ttiocom						7-13
	ttyflush, ttinit, ttywait, cannon, ttrstrt	7-15

I've never done anything with a driver besides look at it, so I left
Dave's other questions for the real experts.  But I do reccommend these
books.  I got them by calling AT&T but I don't have the number anymore.

Paul Hite   PRC Realty Systems  McLean,Va   uunet!prcrs!paul    (703) 556-2243
                      DOS is a four letter word!