VP/ix vs Merge

tif at cpe.UUCP tif at cpe.UUCP
Thu Apr 6 02:53:00 AEST 1989

Written 11:08 pm  Apr  4, 1989 by mrspoc.UUCP!itkin in cpe:comp.unix.xenix
>Can someone educate me?  Does SCO XENIX V/386 operate in a "fully paged,
>virtual-memory environment?"  My system sure seems to be swapping, not
>paging and virtualling :^>~

Assuming I understand the strict definitions (maybe someone should post
the strict definitions?) of "fully paged, virtual-memory environment"
the answer is yes.  You can probably satisfy yourself by looking at vmstat
and specifically try "vmstat -s".  It looks like this for instance:

	   20410 page cache hits
	    1963 page cache misses
	       0 procs swapped in
	       0 procs swapped out
	    1963 filesystem page reads
	       0 swap area page reads
	       0 swap area page writes
	     134 pages reclaimed from free list
	   22403 pages shared due to copy-on-write fork
	       2 pages shared due to cache hits
	   22636 shared pages copied
	 2868390 page faults
	  597987 cpu context switches
	 5980576 (non clock) device interrupts
	   81483 traps
	 5928438 system calls

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			{killer | texbell}!cpe!tif