Dead or alive: Simple editor for XENIX

RICHARD RONTELTAP richard at neabbs.UUCP
Tue Apr 4 07:21:41 AEST 1989

Currently, our home made BBS (running on SCO XENIX /386 2.2.3) has an
edlin-type editor, which, frankly, is getting on my nerves.

It would be much nicer to have a simple-to-use (and learn), full screen editor.
There are a number of editors available like VI, Micro Emacs, Mined (MINEX)
and many more, but: They all have way too many features for BBS usage!
(And some, like VI, are too difficult to learn for our BBS users)

So, before I start reinventing the wheel:

       Is there a simple, PD, full screen editor out there?

I think it should have these options:

- Move: up, down, left, right, page up/down, word forward/backward, home, end.
- Delete: characters (BS and Del), words, lines.
- Insert: toggle.
- Save/abort.
- Find/replace
- No modes! (ala VI)