ESDI vs SCSI

Jim O'Connor jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Sat Apr 15 07:54:38 AEST 1989

In article <4725 at vpk4.UUCP>, hjespers at vpk4.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) writes:

> Actually, the ability to attach seven devices isn't that insane.
> Consider three 300 MB disks, one 125 MB cartridge tape, one 6250 bpi
> 9 track streaming tape, and your left with only two taps for
> your Optical Disk and SCSI <-> MIDI interface. ;-)

Don't forget the removeable cartridge hard drives that are available.  I have
a Syquest 44MB drive, and there is already a 100MB drive available.  I've
heard rumor of 150MB+ drives.  With that kind of capacity, and reliability
(no problem with any cartridge in 5 months of usage), these cartridge
drives could be an alternative to (generally) much slower tape drives.

But if you're going to put 300MB fixed drives on the bus, you'll need one
of the 2.2G 8mm tape drives, which are also available with SCSI
interfaces :-)
James B. O'Connor			jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request at tiamat.fsc.com" ***