AT VS 3B1

Terry Hull terry at eecea.eece.ksu.edu
Sun Apr 16 15:05:16 AEST 1989

In article <670 at ultb.UUCP> thw9759 at ultb.UUCP (T.H. White) writes:

>Which is better, an AT&T 3B1 or a PC/AT clone?

The problem with the 3B1 is it will never get new software.  AT&T is
not going to put SysV R3.2 or streams on it.  It will also not get
SysV R4.0.

My money is on an AT bus '386 machine.  They are not that much more
expensive than '286 based ATs, are MUCH faster, and will run programs
that demand a large address space.  The '386s will also get SysV R4.0
next year.

If I had to choose between the 3B1 or a '286 machine, I think I'd take
the 3B1, just because of the unsegmented architecture.
--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University