ESDI vs SCSI (bus speed)

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.ISC.COM
Wed Apr 19 03:36:14 AEST 1989

In article <15739 at clover.ICO.ISC.COM>, I screwed up...
> ...I notice we're running ESDI 63-sector drives at 1:1.

63 is the "logical" number of sectors, which is a game in the controller to
get you around the 10-bit limit on number of cylinders.  (They fake a
higher number of heads and spt to get the cylinder count under 1024.)  The
disks are physically 34 spt.  They still do run 1:1 and they are pretty fast,
though.
--
Dick Dunn      UUCP: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd           (303)449-2870
   ...Never offend with style when you can offend with substance.