nap in Sys V

Piercarlo Grandi pcg at aber-cs.UUCP
Sat Apr 1 20:54:54 AEST 1989

In article <608 at pmafire.UUCP> dave at pmafire.UUCP (Dave Remien) writes:
    In article <1989Mar29.185842.14146 at ateng.ateng.com> chip at ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
    :>Which, of course, means that SysV missed the boat.  Except for SysV R3.2,
    :>which of course includes nap().

    There are ways to get sub second sleeps in Sys V 3.[0|1], using a serial
    port.

Ughh. Using timeout on reads...

    I didn't notice that nap() was in the 3.2 lib; I'll have to look.

Part of the full Xenix comp at atibility for 5.3.2; they even have shared
segments and semaphores, Xenix style.

BY the way, I have just been testing an Enix 5.3.2 beta copy, and I am going
to report briefly on it soon enough. Summing up, the product is excellent,
the documentation sahould be improved. Enix added some nice BSD
compatibility things, such as the itimer facility, that os course is much
better than nap(). As of now, I think that Enix is the way to go.

5.3.2 is horrible in one respect: too many ways to do the same things.
There are at least four distinct and incompatible tty multiplexing
mechanisms, six distinct and incomaptible inter process communication
styles, and so on. 5.4 will be even worse, presumably, under this aspect.
Ahhhh, compatibility...
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi            |  ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk at nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth         |  UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg
Penglais, Aberystwyth SY23 3BZ, UK  |  INET: pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk