jove 4.12 on SCO Xenix 286 ?

Mark J. Bailey root at mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US
Sat Apr 8 23:40:43 AEST 1989

In article <237 at libove.UUCP>, root at libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) writes:

> Has anyone gotten JOVE version 4.12 to compile on SCO Xenix 80286
> (version 2.2.1 just if it matters) ?
>
> io.c
> /usr/include/sys/file.h(24) : error 25: `file' : enum/struct/union type redefinition

	[error msgs deleted]

> I have traced the tree of #include's through the sources and header
> files, quite exhaustively, and can't find any problems with it.

Within one of the header files for Jove 4.12, there is an attempt
to provide (I assume for DOS) the equivalent of sys/file.h.  It adds
in more stuff that the xenix sys/file.h, which i haven't had time
yet to determine its use.  However, what is happening is that within
the Jove header file, 'struct file' is being defined also.  That is
where you get your redifintion error.  What I did (on the fly, not
a viable, long-term solution, yet) was to take the Jove 'struct file'
and rename it to 'struct fiLe' (or anything would do).  I could not
perceive this to be too much of a problem as the struct was immediately
typedefed and an fgrep of *.c *.h didn't reveal where the struct name
was specifically referred to again.  I do not have the sources online
currently, but I thought I would pass this along.

Also, the Jove sources defines its own set of file manipulation
routines (open_file() = fopen() ???) and there seems to be additional
problems in some of these functions be declared int some spots (probably
thru no particular definition in some function) and a pointer of the
type 'struct fiLe' (what I assume it should be).  Once you get thru
the file.h error, you certainly won't miss these.

I compiled 4.9 just a few weeks ago with almost no hitch.  The config
for 4.12 was noticeably different than 4.9.  Since my first attempts
to get 4.12 compiled, I have had to devote to time other worthy causes
such as paying bills! :-)

Hope this helps.

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Ya'll com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________