2nd hd-controller

pri=-10 Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.UUCP
Thu Apr 13 07:22:46 AEST 1989

In article <141100016 at cpe> tif at cpe.UUCP writes:

>Written  2:53 pm  Apr  9, 1989 by impch.UUCP!patg in cpe:comp.unix.xenix
>>We're using SCO 2.3.1 with an ESDI-controller. We're suffering under
>>a serious problem: as soon we get a bigger disk, we fill it up and
>>need more diskspace... This takes no end, and that's a REAL problem. ;-)
>>
>>SCO 2.3.1 now supports a second controller (as mentioned in the release notes).
>>Is there anyone out there using a second hd-controller under SCO2.3.1
>>who can give us some hints regarding the type of controller,
>>IO-base address, irq-vector ( 15 ? ) and so on ?

Well Dave Dillabough (uunet!van-bc!dilltk!dave) has run two WD 1003
compatible controllers in SCO systems without too many problems. You do have
to modify the second controller to interrupt at the appropriate interrupt
vector.

>Hint 1:	(According to my documentation on a slightly different version)
>	Systems with an ESDI controller can't add another controller.

He hasn't had any trouble with running a WD 1007 with another controller.

Dave is out of town until next week. I'm sure he won't mind providing more
information to those who ask, when he gets back.

The biggest problem is modifying the hardware for the interrupt vector.
Usually there are jumpers for selecting the second board address. After that
you just mkdev hd 2.

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)