SCO-Interactive-Locus love triangle (was: VP/ix keyboard problem)

Stacy L. Millions stacy at mcl.UUCP
Sun Apr 30 03:40:11 AEST 1989

In article <604 at lilink.UUCP>, mikej at lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
> In article <603 at lilink.UUCP> tbetz at .UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:
> >I'm using VP/ix 1.1, which includes DOS 3.3.

VP/ix 1.0 the "controlled release" and 1.1 both ship with DOS 3.2,
you can use whatever version of DOS you want, but SCO will only support
the one they ship with it. Update A brings you up to 1.1.1 and
adds DOS 3.3.

> >                                             At least on my Wyse
> >3216, it still has the keyboard buffering problem...

SCO seems to think the new update will fix the problem:

	"A new 'urgent interrupt scheme' is used for critical respone-time
	functions such as mouse motion and keyboard echo."

			SCO's _DiSCOver_ March/April 1989

> >                Another annoyance.  As I have heard that SCO is
> >abandoning VP/ix for DOSmerge in future releases, don't expect
> >either of these things to be fixed anytime soon.

> ..... As to SCO abandoning VP/ix
> I'm not sure. If they are they are certainly keeping it quiet. I recently
> read through a blurb on the "Real-soon-now" Open Desktop product. They
> very quietly slipped in on the last page the "Dos Under Unix" module.
> According to the blurb it WILL be DOSmerge.

According to my sales rep at SCO, merge is only for use with Open Desktop.
SCO will contiune to support VP/ix for general use.

> a- An UPGRADE of the current version to fix bugs prevalent in current releases

Upgrade A that I mentioned earlier, brings you to release 1.1.1

> b- A new VERSION that is supposedly going to work with Unix 5.3 when it is
>    released. This is projected for later in the year.

	"SCO will continue improving SCO VP/ix as a key element of its
	product line. Look for SCO VP/ix Release 1.2, which will cor-
	respond to the forthcoming SCO UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2
	Operating System, later in 1989."

			SCO's _DiSCOver_ March/April 1989

I hope they live up to thier words.

-stacy
--
"Praise the Lord and pass the tax rebate!"
                             - Friar Tuck, Walt Disney's _Robin Hood_

S. L. Millions             Millions Computing Ltd.             tmsoft!mcl!stacy