Which Version Of Xenix to Buy??

Johnny Hamilton hamilton at harrison.cs.unc.edu
Wed Feb 22 08:23:29 AEST 1989

I need help in chosing the correct version of Xenix.
Don't let me make any mistakes that you may have made --
what should I get (SCO Xenix,Microport, or what??)

SYSTEM:  IBM PS/2 Model 50/z
	 - 3.5" (1.44mb) diskette drive
	 - Intel 80286 processor
 	 - 3MB core (1MB motherboard, 2MB XMA Adapter)
	 - 300/1200 Baud Internal Modem
	 - 60MB Hard Drive

What version of Xenix should I buy?  I will be using the
machine to log in at work which is a Unix environment --
primarily 4.3BSD and Sun OS/[3-4].

My objective is to login from home, copy any files I need
to work on to my system at home, work in multiple windows
(What windowing system?? -- Xwindows for a PC?? Is there such
an animal??) and then copy files back across.

Options I would like to have in an OS: (Muli-tasking is a default)
1. Offers or promots some type of windowing system such as X-Windows
   or as the Suns do with Suntools.
2. Provide good documentation to the OS and perhaps telephonic
   support.
3. Able to read/run dos or OS/2 programs and files.
4. Provide C compiler with some type of debugger as in "dbxtool"

The mandatory list is that I have:
1.  The windowing environment.
2.  That the OS provides (or the Company  have for sale) a C compiler
    and perhaps a good window debugger as in Codview or dbxtool

Thank you very much,
Johnny Hamilton
hamilton at cs.unc.edu