Xenix mail system

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.ateng.com
Tue Feb 14 07:42:34 AEST 1989

There is one configuration with smail 2.5, deliver and Micnet which hasn't
yet been mentioned here, so I think I'll mention it.  Perhaps it will be
acceptable to those who like Micnet.

Deliver was written as a drop-in replacement for /usr/lib/mail/mail.local.
The mail.local program is called by the Xenix execmail program to deliver
local mail.  So, how about this:

    1.  Start with smail 2.5.

    2.  Apply my Xenix patches and define MICNET.  This causes all mail
	to be delivered by execmail.x.

    3.  Make /usr/lib/mail/mail.local a link to /usr/bin/deliver.

This configuration uses deliver for local mail, but uses the normal SCO mail
system for UUCP and Micnet mail delivery.  The SCO execmail program (named
execmail.x during the Smail install) unwittingly calls deliver for local
mail.

Incidentally, this is the configuration I used when I first wrote deliver.
(I write deliver before I had Smail 3.)

So, Micnet fans: what's the verdict?
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip at ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!