MASM syntax for a far call.

Keith Gabryelski ag at elgar.UUCP
Tue Feb 7 04:28:27 AEST 1989

I little while ago I posted some instructions on how to get System V
Release 3 signal functions (sigset(), sighold(), sigpause() ...) for a
SCO XENIX 2.3.1 system.  I also posted some code explaining
(unimplemented) select() for SCO XENIX and syscall().

In the assembly language routines I posted there were lines of the
form:

;	call    far 7:0			; Switch to kernel and call SYSNUM.

	db 9ah
	dw 0,0
	dw 7

As you can see, I couldn't figure out the MASM assembler syntax for a
far call.  I used `db's instead.

I was informed by a SCO hack [Brian Chapman] that what I did was
similar to what is found in their source code.

It seems the far call is hardly ever used in the SCO XENIX system and
as such has never been fully implemented in the MASM assembler.

Pax, Keith

Ps, has anyone gotten any use out of the new signal functions?
--
ag at elgar.CTS.COM         Keith Gabryelski          ...!{ucsd, crash}!elgar!ag