UNIX assemblers and SCO

Michael Grenier mike at cimcor.mn.org
Wed Feb 15 23:28:18 AEST 1989

I'm currently considering supporting the UNIX 386 market with a
pascal compiler I have running under Microport V/AT. It will
generate assembly language output from the compiler which will
call up the assembler to generate the binary much in the same
way as pcc does. Now a question.

I have no fear in supporting Microport, Bell Tech, AT&T, Interactive,
ENIX and so forth as rumor has it they support the standard UNIX V.3
assembler for the 386. I have no fear that in fact the pascal compiler
will run under SCO UNIX V/386. I have a BIG fear that the rumored
MASM like assembler SCO uses will not handle the UNIX assembler's
opcodes and directives and will therefore not assemble the output
of the pascal compiler.

Is it true that SCO will not support the standard UNIX V.3 assembler?
It would be disappointing to have SCO doing something different again.
    -Mike Grenier
     mike at cimcor.mn.org
     uunet!rosevax!cimcor!mike