How do I do it?

Andrew Scherpbier turtle at sdsu.UUCP
Thu Feb 2 11:51:46 AEST 1989

   I have a 386 box running Xenix V 2.3.1.  With this release there are
a couple of programs which do things which I would like to do as well.
The programs I am talking about are 'usemouse' and 'mscreen'  Usemouse
somehow inserts keystrokes between the keyboard and another program.
This in itself would not be such an accomplishment since a simple filter
could do that as well, but it seems completely transparent and it uses the
/dev/ttyp* devices somehow.
   Mscreen also uses the /dev/ttyp* devices and it accomplishes the reverse
of usemouse: it filters the output from a process and does special things
when certain escape sequences come through.

   Here is the big question:

   How can I write a program to do this same sort of thing? -and- What are
these /dev/ttyp* things anyway?

   Can anyone *Please* give me some clues on this?