Everex Step 386/20 -- Power-up problems!

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Fri Feb 17 01:18:50 AEST 1989

In article <1989Feb14.175249.25055 at ateng.ateng.com> chip at ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>Once upon a time, A T Engineering bought several Everex Step 386/20

>If you powered them on while the printer was on and connected, they were
>dead.  Nothing.  Nada.  Not even the fancy front panel display.

>This problem was nothing more than a nuisance until we found that the same
>problem would be caused by leaving an Archive tape drive on and plugged in.
>Of course, the Xenix drivers for the Archive only look for the tape at
>power-up, so if you turn off the drive so the computer will start, then you
>can't use the tape at all.  And trying to use the tape with the computer
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	Not so.  Do the following command and the tape drive will work OK:

		tape reset

		and wait until the drive finishes resetting.

>So has anyone else had this trouble with Everex Step 386 motherboards?  Are
>we the only Everex users with printers and Archive tapes?  What's going on?

We're running a Step 25 here, with no problems such as you described.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon