apparent cron lockup

Richard Greenall richard at berner.UUCP
Fri Feb 3 23:54:31 AEST 1989

In article <13073 at steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <611 at dms.UUCP> morris at dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) writes:
>
>| I did the following which "cured" the problem:
>| put the following line in /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/root
>|
>| 10 * * * * /bin/true
>
>  Ah ha! No wonder I never saw the problem. My machines as heavy uucp
>boxes and run uucico several time an hour to check for queued outgoing
>mail. No wonder I haven't seen this.

I don't think that that was the entire problem with cron.  I also
run uucp a couple times an hour and still get the cron lockup
quite regularly with 2.3.1 I even added the /bin/true to run about
every half hour with little success.  I even went back to the
cron in version 2.2.1 and installed that, and STILL got the
same symptoms.

			richard greenall
			berner!richard