Xenix mail system

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.ateng.com
Wed Feb 1 08:04:58 AEST 1989

In article <694 at vector.UUCP>, chip at vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
> Hey Chip ... what does your mail setup look like?

 /usr/bin/mail -----> execm ---.

	   Elm -----.          |             .----------> (user mailboxes)
		    |          v             |
	 uuxqt -----+-----> smail,rmail -----+----------> uux
		    |                        |
       recmail -----'                        `----------> deliver

Here, /usr/bin/mail is the standard SCO program, and execm is my replacement
for /usr/lib/mail/execmail that parses options and runs Smail. (My Xenix
patches include the Smail 2 version of execm.  Smail 3 will be distributed
with execm included.  Note that execm won't help unless /usr/lib/mail/mailrc
contains the command "set execmail".

I configure Elm to think that it has sendmail, which Smail 3 emulates.
(One of the ten (!) links to /usr/bin/smail is /usr/lib/sendmail.)

Smail 3 usually writes directly to user mailboxes.  I, personally, have a
.forward file that says "|/usr/bin/deliver chip", so my mail is handled by
deliver.  I could configure Smail 3 to use deliver for all local mail, and
it would take about thirty seconds; but why?  Smail 3's aliasing is flexible
enough for most needs (except mine :-)).
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip at ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!